About the artist
Dianne Mahaffee, of Lancaster, South Carolina has been an art teacher for private, public, and home schools for most of her life. Presently she teaches at the University of South Carolina at Lancaster and her studio.
I was born and raised in Lancaster County but my artwork is inspired by the many places I have traveled. Most recently I traveled to Ecuador with a small group of artists. We were all painters and had a wonderful but serious time painting from the islands of the Galapagos to the countryside of Ecuador. The ranches and horses were my main painting interests. I completed 10 painting on the trip, and have continued to paint from my photographs while back at my studio.
I have been an art educator for decades. I still teach at USCL, my studio, and for the smARTS program for the Lancaster County School District. I teach painting and also, pottery. I own and operate a full working studio and rent space out to local artists.
Some of Dianne’s accomplishments include:
- Studied art and painted plein air in France, Italy, Greece, China, Costa Rica, and most recently Ecuador and Galapagos islands in January 2023.
- Selected and interviewed for Artist of the Month, April 2023 by South Carolina Arts Commission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawdeeXvtUE
- Commissioned to paint note cards for the SC Governor's mansion - 2022
- Selected to be a Paws on Parade Artist by Lancaster County Council of the Arts - 2020-2021
- Won best in show 2012 for sculptural Raku Pot in Bite of the Apple Art Contest for Art Teachers in North and South Carolina
- Won 1st place 2013 for sculptural Raku Pot in Bite of the Apple Art Contest for Art Teachers in North and South Carolina
- Named SC Art Teacher of the year 2009-2010
· Sculpture was selected to be on display in the Blue Room at the White House in Washington DC
· Master’s Degree in Art Education from Winthrop University with studio emphasis on sculpture and painting
· Member of South Carolina Watercolor Society
· A 1997 first place winner in Marian Hagins Art Competition
· Listed in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers in the 2nd, 6th, and 7th editions
· Chosen as one of Lancaster County’s 10 Most Admired Women. This honor was sponsored by The Lancaster News and The Eye and Laser Center (1999).
Publications and Television Program
· Clay Time Magazine, May/June 2001 Page 40
· Studio PMC Magazine, March 2003 page 7
· Studio PMC Magazine, November 2004 page 9
· Artists’ Studios Olde English District Visitor Guide, November 2005/November 2006